Friday, May 15, 2009

Training American Martyrs

"Raise up an army of laid-down lovers" sings Rick Pino on "Martyr's Song" from his latest album "Songs for An Endtime Army".
Many are being convicted of self-sufficiency and putting personal agendas above "Thy will be done."
Videos of 3rd world nations, underground churches and modern day martyrs are stirring up a holy jealousy in Christians in the west.
For centuries, the western church has sent missionaries to foreign lands to preach the gospel. Now, those very nations are praying for us, and some are even sending their missionaries here, to the U.S. to awaken us, to bring us back to passion for the Savior.
It is said the blood of the martyrs has always fueled the fires of the church, and the greater the persecution the more the church seems to grow. Could such be in store for America?
I recently heard a young pastor from L.A. say that the emerging generation is looking for something real in the church, something beyond religious form. They are looking for the authority that comes from suffering for a cause that is greater than we are. They are looking for the "laid-down lovers" Rick Pino sings of, who will live sacrificially in covenant community and love.
Ask yourself, "What is happening in my life right now that is an opportunity for me to die to my agenda, my way, my life?" Can you consider it a grace, can you look at it as the Lord's preparation for the future when He might call you to give your life away for Him?
The worst thing I can imagine is not dying for the sake of Christ. The most horrible fate I can imagine is if faced with the choice to give Him everything, I would say no.
I don't know if anyone wakes up one day and says, OK, today I am ready to be a martyr. I think it's more like waking up every day and saying, What do You want today, Lord? And as each person and situation comes, I am strengthened in the "Thy Will Be Done" deep inside my heart when I am ignored, criticized, corrected, insulted, betrayed, lied to, or blessed, praised, encouraged, promoted - will the love of Jesus overtake this heart? Will I keep His word to the end? Will I love the unlovable for His sake?
For all of us, I pray, we will be ready.

No comments: